Friday, March 28, 2003

Walla! My new glasses:

So at long last, here is a picture of my new glasses. I got a lot of compliments at the Gauntlet, which was very nice. The sports editor asked me if this was the first time I've had glasses, and I had to tell him that I've worn glasses every single day since I've known him. I guess he just didn't notice those other ones. Tracie took this photo of me, and I think it's at least in my top two favorite photos of myself, even though when I look at it, I don't really think I look that way. I really am into the colour blue right now, so that could be helping.



Freedom Fries Issue:

I can't remember if I have expressed my opinion about the whole freedom fries thing, but get ready for it, because here it comes. Calling french fries, freedom fries or liberty fries is just plain stupid. I will not be using the term "freedom fries" other than to deride people who do. Although I may disagree with this whole war/killing people thing, I do have to admit that the Amercians might not be wrong when it comes to making fun of France, or for that matter french people in general.

This created a pretty big dilema for me. How could I make fun of the French, or at least annoy them without appearing to support the war. The answer hit me light a bolt of lightning. Instead of saying "freedom fries, or liberty kissing" to replace "french fries and french kissing" I will now refer to those items simply as "fries" and "kissing". It's not everyday that you can cause two whole countries to be annoyed.

You may have noticed that I have agreed to use the American term, "Walla!" instead of the French term, "Voila!" Under no circumstances is this to be interpreted as support for the war.

-Gary Milner

No comments: