Monday, March 10, 2003

School Update:

I did my Mgis 461 presentation today. It was a 10-minute thing about a new technology. Ours was ok, but a general complaint I had about most of them, was that the presenters didn't really seem to know what they were talking about. My group included. It was just a bunch of management kids spouting cool sounding jargon and acronyms that nobody could understand or care about. That's one of my biggest complaints about management in general. It's so trendy; you can talk for hours and hours without saying anything that means anything. It's all about "thinking outside the box", "building strategic alliances", or "Synergy” none of that stuff means a single thing, and it goes on and on. I just wish people would say something that actually mattered, and maybe I don't really mean "something that actually matters" per se, but I mean something that actually means something. Something that people can understand, and that they can actually apply. Something that will actually be used in an industry a year from now. Not just the "Rich Dad, Wealthy Barber" of the day.

If one cannot state a matter clearly enough so that even an intelligent twelve-year-old can understand it, one should remain within the cloistered walls of the university and laboratory until one gets a better grasp of one's subject matter.
-- Margaret Mead

No comments: