Friday, September 19, 2003

Talk Like a Pirate Matey

Arrrrr, top of the morning to you me hearties. Avast, it being Talk Like a Pirate Day, I'm hoping ye swarmies will be talkin' more in line with the Pirate lingo. The thing about talk like a pirate day is, Mateys, I walk down these here halls in the University thinking to myself how great 'twould be to break out in pirate lingo but arrrr I haven't the courage. Here instead is a do-over of Gary's and Dad's posts with ++pirate lingo ye scurvy bilge rats. YAARRRRHH!!!!

More Regarding Funny Guys Mateys
by Bob Milner (re-written by Jeff)

I think that while the liberals be workin' so hard t' achieve equal starboards for funny guys they should make it a law that funny guys get t' have their own change rooms 'n restrooms the same as men 'n women do. Arrgh! As thin's be now, it's a hard thin' just t' use a cubicle in the restroom because ye think ye might get yer ankle grabbed. Bilge!

Arrr, When the Crew Argues
by Gary Milner (re-written by Jeff)

I just noticed that when people debate sensitive topics, they like t' use big words. The chase is making full sail, matey! I almost never use big words in real life, 'n neither be Jeff or Anna (as far as I can tell havin' only talked her 5 or 6 times). Yaaarrrr! But it's not just us. Shiver me timbers T' whole filthy lot o' 'em does. Avast, I think that, at a subconscious level, we think it makes us sound more convincin'. AAARRGGHHH! Maybe we hope that the other person won't en be able t' understand bigger words. Blimey! Maybe we hope that they will spend time lookin' up the words in a pirate dictionary: sophist, disingenuous, bling bling, semiotics and pfft. Aarhh! The word pfft be an onomatopoeia, so don't be botherin' lookin' it up Matey. Yarrr, maybe they will forget their argument because they be in awe o' yer stupendous vocabulary. Bloody landlubber! Somehow I be doubtin' it.

What I really think be that it helps defeat the desire t' resort t' name callin' 'n usin' hurtful derogatory words. Be ye ready to walk the plank? Ye may have read an earlier post o' mine where I posted a clip o' an email from the lass who was furious. Yo-ho-ho! I'll say again that the hurtful derogatory words don't increase the weight o' yer argument. Dead men tell no tales. They make ye look like a landlubber.

-Gary Milner Pirate Internet Dictionary

ps. Man the guns, ye cowardly swabs! I put the link t' James' blog because I think he be a good writer, not because I agree with everythin' he says.


Aye me Hearteys, man the sails and yarrr, more grog, wench! Have a great talk like a pirate day and when pirating music, don't let those bastarrrrrds at the Arrrrr-IAA get you down Matey.

No comments: