Thursday, September 18, 2003

Homosexual Marriage

I wish I was as eloquent as Dr. Somerville. I find that I cannot express why I am against homosexual marriage in a manner that I consider to be adequate. I hold a firm belief that an argument can be made against it. I also believe that that the argument can be done in a non-homophobic manner. It seems to me that one can disagree with a pro-homosexual idea with out being homophobic, in the same way I can disagree with an Irishman's opinion without being racist, bigoted or somehow discriminatory.

To Anna's example, and I do realise that it is just an example, I say that no non-sick (possibly healthy?) person has the right to be in the hospital. Hospital staff can and do tell family members to leave the hospital for various reasons all the time. If the person doesn't go, they call security or the police. The hospital argument just doesn't work. But, any nurse that would just kick someone out that wasn't be disruptive is, in my opinion, completely heartless.

I would like to point out Dr. Somerville's explanation "Different-but-equal, and Separate-but-equal". A person being denied the privilege of visiting a loved one the basis of their sexual choice is wrong.

-Gary Milner

No comments: