Friday, September 12, 2003

PRUDENCE VERSUS RIGHTEOUSNESS

According to the first presidency, "we are not to resist evil." Two examples are given that clarify what is meant by resisting evil. First, "if a person smites you on the right cheek, turn and let him smite you on the left cheek." The second example is that "if a person sues for you coat, let him have not only your coat but your cloak also." This caused me to wonder if the afore mentioned smite is only a little love smite or a full blown punch in the face which causes teeth to fly. Or perhaps the smite might be a bash with a softball bat or slash with a sword. Maybe a poolcue or a hockey stick. I also wondered about the sueing thing. Would this only apply to your coat or could it be your house and life savings? Right off hand I'm thinking this doesn't sound like very sage advice. So now I'm perplexed. Should I be smart and avoid being smitten in the face or should I be righteous but stupid. I guess I'll be righteous but my advice to you is don't try this at home.

No comments: