Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Def Leppard Concert in Calgary

So you want to see "Def Leopard Photos"(sic) from the concert last night? Well I didn't take any pictures myself, but the band did. Of course they mentioned at the concert that it might be 24 hours or so until they get them posted. It's a good way for them to get 10,000 extra hits a day while all the excited fans keep checking over and over to see if the pictures they took of the audience are there yet.

The concert was really fun, a little loud - but hey at least we remembered to bring ear plugs so it wasn't that bad. The noise of the crowd was the worst, the fans were very excited last night. So here's the deal with our seats. Anna and I never inspected our tickets very carefully. We just sort of assumed that row 11, seats 5 and 6 meant Row 11, seats 5 and 6 - right up there on the floor. We walked down the stairs and right through security. They never looked at our tickets very carefully either. They just stamped our hands and our tickets and told us to keep moving. We were sitting up there in the 11th row enjoying the opening band when someone came up to us and wondered why we were sitting in their seats. We pulled out our tickets and they both appeared to be for the same seats, but then we realized that our tickets were for section 113. Oops. Well we moved and decided that now that we were already down in the floor seating we would just sit in some empty seats and stay down there. There were a few guys wearing Mullet wigs, but for the most part, it appears that fans of Def Leppard have traded in their mullets for bald spots. Hard core rockers are getting old. However, the relative age of the audience was not apparent when we listened to their enthusiastic cheers. According to lead singer Joe Elliot we are at least as loud as Montreal and Saskatoon (he mentioned that he was surprised at how loud Saskatoon was, given that they are in the middle of nowhere).

Despite being extremely tired last night, I forced myself to drive home. We got back around 1:45am and when 6:00 rolled around there was no way I was going to go swimming. I was just too tired. I'll try and get in for this afternoon's practice before my 4:30 class.

This morning I did get up though and called the radio station to say thanks and tell them about the concert. They played a short clip of our conversation on the air. I think I sound terrible on the radio. It just occurred to me that since I won the free tickets, I wonder if I will be eligible for the Toys for Boys contest? I mean it seems to me that you can't have won anything in the past 30 days. Well chances are I'm not going to get drawn anyway, so no sense losing sleep over it.

The Cable Guy

We finally buckled. My roommates and I are getting cable. The cable guy is supposed to be coming on Wednesday - they said that someone needs to be home all day. I don't know how they get off having someone ruin their day waiting for the stupid cable guy to come, you'd think they could at least narrow it down to a couple of hours. Well I guess that's just the way the world works. Hopefully with all the roommates that I have now at least one of them will be able to stick around. Speaking of roommates, I was happily surprised to find that while I was in Calgary my roommates moved the fridge in for me. Sure now that I have another fridge my house looks even more like a furniture / appliance store, but it's a store with plenty of food.

No comments: