Tuesday, April 08, 2003

School Update:

So, I handed in 2 major group papers yesterday (2500 words each) and wrote that telecommunications basics midterm yesterday. Those three things were a huge burden off my mind. At about 9:00 I checked my email and I got one from a group member that said, "Here is the .ppt presentation so far. Mark will look at graphics. Gary please show up for our next meeting." I thought, did I miss a meeting? Did we even have a meeting? I looked all around the computer and saw a sheet that had "Monday 7th 3:30 meeting" written on it. I forgot that I had a meeting right after my midterm exam. I also forgot that I have an assignment due at 12:30 today. (it's 11:23 right now) So I wrote an email to my group apologizing to my group. I wrote an email to my prof asking for two more days. Then I added 2 more slides to the .ppt and sent another email to my group with it and said sorry one more time. I read my strategic management reading for today and then I went to bed.

You get the worst sick feeling when you forget an assignment or a group meeting. I used to get nightmares about missing basketball practice in high school, and I get the feeling that I'm going to have dreams about missing assignments or meetings for a while into the future now.

Anyway this morning I re-read the strategic management paper because last night it was if I was actually just looking at the words in order, rather than actually reading them. I would get through 2 or 3 pages and then realize that I was just daydreaming. This morning I took notes along with reading. That's a trick I wish I had learned that 12 years ago. I guess I'll see if it pays off in a few days. AT 11:00 am I went to see my enterprise resource planning prof. (she's the one that has the assignment due.) She had read my email, and has agreed to give the entire class 2 more days to work on it. She would have given a week, but she doesn't want it to interfere with final exams that are coming up.

-Gary Milner

No comments: