Monday, April 28, 2003

Gary: 69 Traffic Cop: 50 Winner = Gary

If you will kindly remember my post of 4/22/2003 @ 10:06:57 PM, I wrote:

My last exam actually conflicts with my court date. I haven't been arrested for anything, but I got a speeding ticket that was pretty high. I'm thinking of fighting it, especially if I can get back for my exam in time. I just need to find out if it's true that you get out of the ticket if the cop doesn't show up. I kind of get the feeling that everybody has a friend of a friend who got out of a ticket because the cop didn't show, or their sister-in-law's cousins uncle is a lawyer who says that's the way it is, but really you know what that means to me. Absolutely nothing. People are liars. They are just trying to be helpful, but they don't know jack. Really people are just stupid.

It turns out that I decided not to simply pay the fine, but to actually go down there and see if I could take care of business. It also turned out to be worthwhile. I went to plead my case, before a Justice.

If any of you, my dear readers, have ever been cited for speeding, you will know that you have three options. Option 1. Pay the voluntary payment. Option 2. Plead not guilty by mailing the notice to the proper address. Option 3. Appear before a Justice, to plead guilty or not guilty to the offence charged. My experience has led me to believe that Option 1 is for suckers. Option 2 is for people who really are not guilty. Option 3 is the best option out there.

I picked option three. I went down to correct location, got in a very short line at one of the wickets, and got some direction of what I wanted to do. I told him that I wanted to enter a plea. He said, “Are you pleading not guilty?”

I said, "No, guilty, I’m just going to beg." He gave off the appearance of being mildly amused.

No comments: