Sunday, January 29, 2006

Modern medicine

I went to the doctor the other day to have a finger like growth removed from under my arm.
He first had a look at it and then he went out of the room and came back in with a steaming cauldren of liquid hydrogen. I had heard of such a thing but I had never actually seen it. Well he rubbed some of the hydrogen on the growth using a q-tip, being very careful not to get any on himself. He said the growth would shrivel up and fall off in a few days. It hasn't done it yet but thats beside the point. The point is I was reminded of old western movies that had scenes of oldtime cowboys doing field surgery. They could cure about anything by heating up a hunting knife to a red glow and then liberally applying it to the affected area. I remember thinking that this was a pretty barbaric practice. But no more. Now I know that what they were doing was actually pretty high tech because doctors are still doing something similar till this day.

No comments: