Sunday, March 21, 2004

Wedding Photos

I went to Edmonton on Saturday to take photos for my cousin Blair's wedding. We ended up with 380 some photos. I downloaded them onto his laptop so that I could fill the card more than once, and there ended up being about a gigabyte of photos. There is a problem with just willy nilly giving away the photos like that though. This way, he gets to see all the photos, not just the good ones. Hopefully he is the optimistic type and will see the 200 good ones, not the 180 bad ones. Also, it would be great if they are they type of people to actually get the photos printed. Even if they only do the best 100 or so, it would only cost $30-$60 and they would have a spectacular album.

Blair said that he would burn a pair of CD's for me and drop them off in a week or two when he comes to/through Calgary. I'm really looking forward to finally seeing the photos.

I need to work on getting people to pose better, Jackie figures that I am not "forceful" enough in posing. She says that I'm good at getting them to stand in the proper place, and finding nice backgrounds, but that I am not great at making them pose in the best way. I think she is right, and I was secretly hoping that she would sort of help with that, which she did a little bit. Jackie is really good at getting little kids to smile, it was impressive to watch.

Job Front

I got a message from the Future Shop, about the Mgmt position. Unfortunately I was interviewing candidates for the photo editor position for next year, but I called them anyway. I think that I called a little late, but got a hold of the person through their cell phone. We both seemed to want to get off the phone asap, but it seems to me that I have a conditional offer, depending on what my references say. The whole references thing is a bit silly, really, because the deck is so stacked in favour of the applicant. I have Alex Markov from Amtech, Kris Kotarski and Lawrence Bailey both EIC's from the Gauntlet. The question is why would anyone send a reference that is going to bad mouth them?

Speaking of bad mouthing, one of my old bosses gave a guy a glowing reference to a guy he fired for being too annoying. A different old boss exaggerated how much someone was getting paid so that they could get into an apartment complex. So really, references aren't of that much value anyway, because even if the person doesn't like you they may just do you a favour because they feel guilty about giving you the boot themselves.

The Future Shop will be calling my references Monday, and should be back to me soon after they are able to talk to all of them.

-Gary, soon to be in retail management.