Friday, July 30, 2004

I Hate Staying Home All Day Every Day

Not having a job is the worst thing in the entire world. I may start going downtown and panhandle. If you work down there, I'll be the homeless person that showers everyday, has a house, and drives a 2004 Toyota Corolla.

It's not even about the money. We have enough money. It is about doing nothing all day long. You can only watch kids CBC for so long before Zaboo becomes really annoying. I shouldn't really say that I don't have anything to do, I actually have about 10 minutes worth of stuff to do, but I want to stretch it out a little. For example, when I mow the lawn, I only mow the front, so that I can mow the back the next day. I do a load of whites, but leave the colours the next day. I tidy up, but leave vacuuming for the next day.

All in all, I could probably do everything that needs to be done in about an hour and a half. Two hours tops. But I don't want to.

Tracie really resents the fact that I don't have a job and get to stay home all day. I really resent the fact that she constantly gets offered better and better jobs for more and more money. She quit her full time job last September to finish her degree and worked as much as she wanted to at that same unit at the hospital all through school. She did one of here practicums at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the Peter Lougheed Hospital, and the manager there told her to fill out the forms to have a job on that unit, but didn't even know her name.

Tracie though that it might be nice to teach LPN's at the Bow Valley College, and they gave her a full time job doing it. She still picks up shifts at Unit 51 at the PLC. She thought that it might be better to teach at the University of Calgary, so she took a resume down. The HR secretary told her that they didn't accept resumes without a competition number, so Tracie took it right to the Faculty of Nursing. The secretary there gave her a blank stare, but someone happened to walk by and said, "As a matter of fact, we need two practicum teachers. I'll take your resume." The next day she had an interview and was hired on the condition that she find three people willing to say good things about her over the phone.

This morning after I dropped her off at the hospital, someone from the states (likely out east) called to offer her a job (she would probably double her salary, get free rent, they would pay her taxes, and give her a rental car for three months).

I can't even get an automated response to my emails. It's depressing. I'm thinking of dying my hair black, getting some black makeup maybe nail polish, eye gunk and lipstick.

I'm thinking of getting some construction job to pass the time or whatever, but I am afraid that I'll end up doing construction for the rest of my life. I'm afraid that it will get in the way of doing something else.

Meanwhile, Tracie wants to do her masters degree. Likely at the U of A, but Queens is looking good too. Queens has the added bonus of living out East.

Anyway, the bottom line is that, not being in Tracie's league sucks big time.

-Gary Milner

No comments: