Sunday, April 18, 2004

I Hate Phones

The part about not answering the phones in my last post was 90% kidding.

However, I have always disliked the phone. I hate calling people I don't know, I hate calling stores, I hate calling just to chat. When I use the phone, it is because I have some sort of 'business' or purpose to my call that cannot be easily accomplished without calling.

When Tracie and I were dating, she had to write down a list of things to talk about so that the conversation wouldn't die out.

At the home we get one call a day. 80% of the time it's a telemarketer and the other 20% it is Tracie. At the electronics store, there is 1 call every 20 seconds, they play the stereo full blast, and salesmen come up to you and want you to check their customer's receipts and the phone is really quiet. It virtually doesn't stop ringing the entire day. It slows down to a call a minute about an hour before closing, and then one every five minutes after the store is shut down for the night.

While I wasn't completely serious when contemplating a full phone stoppage, I was pretty shaken by my 15 minutes watching the phones. For the rest of the day, I flinched every time I heard it ring.

Unfortunately, it's just something I have to deal with.

-Gary, Hates cellphones and regular phones

No comments: