Sunday, April 11, 2004

Easter in Medicine Hat


Tracie and I went down to Medicine Hat for Easter. We had a good visit with my parents yesterday afternoon, and then over to Tracie's parents for supper. Tracie's mom loves to paint eggs and then roll them down the hill. We have a contest to see who can roll them the farthest. During the five years that I have been married to Tracie, her Dad has won twice, I have won once, and our brother-in-law Dann has won twice.

Tracie's sisters Megan and Becky, would probably argue those stats because this year the winning egg was thrown by Ralph (Tracie's Dad,) on behalf of Becky, who claimed the trophy. Last year the winning egg was thrown by Dann, (Megan's husband,) on behalf of Megan. I suppose that their argument would be valid, especially at Easter when we (the Christian world) celebrates the fact that something was done for us that we could not do for ourselves.

We also did the egg search, which left some of us wondering how much longer this wonderful tradition will continue. My parents stopped doing it over a decade ago. I haven't even gotten chocolate eggs from them in three or four years. Maybe we will keep doing it until Tracie and I have kids and we just start doing it ourselves for them.

I made the comment to Tracie that mathematically we could be expecting our third kid by now. My cousin Aron and his wife Joann-Marie have two kids already and they got married a few weeks after us. Their first is definitely old enough to do a search. I guess the question is when do you get to stop doing the kid things?

Don't get me wrong, I love looking for eggs at Easter and getting tons of presents at Christmas. I guess that rolling the eggs isn't really about rolling the eggs. It's about being a family, spending time together, and developing friendships.

Another major event was test driving a pair of cars. We took out a Civic and an Accord. They are both really nice cars, although I would rather have the Accord. We'll probably have a new car by the end of the month. Really, it's just going to be a matter of getting around to it.

We also got to see Eva "she gives me a feva" Liske, our five month old niece which was nice. Maybe we will have kids in two or three more years.

-Gary, can't roll an egg worth a darn anymore.

No comments: