Wednesday, May 21, 2003

X Men Reloaded/ X Men Revisited

Boy that reloaded/revisited joke is sure panning out. It's practically as good as "With a Vengance" was back when Die Hard 3 came out.

As you may have guessed by my beautiful title, I went to see X2 (trailer) last night. I really enjoyed it, even the commercials at the beginning. There were so many commercials that I finnaly snapped and shouted, "START THE MOVIE!!!!" (caps added for extra emphasis). For real, not for pretend. The only unfortunate part was the stupid commercials are so loud that I don't really know how the rest of the audience responded. I'm sure some people were a little afraid, but I'm also sure that some probably laughed to themselves. Now I know that nobody at the theater heard me yell, or would have cared even if they had heard me, but hopefully the audience realized that other people are annoyed by those commercials and that they are not alone. Hopefully their annoyance of starts smouldering in their souls and becomes a burning hatred of cinema commercials.

Anyway, X-men 2 is way better than X-men 1. Right after I saw the first one I predicted this would happen by saying, "The sequel will be way better." Turns out I was right. The effects were way better, the mutants used their powers a little bit more, and there was a way better story. There were a few things that I would have done differently, but in general most superhero movies have this problem. For example, they don't seem to use their powers to maximum effect, as if they have forgotten that they are mutants. Besides that, they do things that just don't make sense. To illustrate these things, I will explain one scene. Towards the end of the movie, there is a scene inside of a collapsing dam. Unable to escape the way they came in because of a wall of crashing water, they leave through a door in the top of the dam, then head down to a helicopter pad underneath the dam only to discover that the helicopter is gone. Two things, why didn't they just stay at the above the lake and send someone to get the helicopter, and why didn't the mutant who could freeze things instantly, freeze the lake so that the water wouldn't all come rushing out? And when they did realize that the helicopter was gone, why didn't the guy who could teleport take everyone to the safety of higher ground? I guess they just wanted one more heroic scene, even though it could have been easily solved with even rudimentary use of their super powers.

No comments: