Saturday, May 17, 2003

Medicine Hat

Well I came to Medicine Hat this weekend to visit Mom and Dad, and of course Gary and Tracie, but Gary and Tracie are no where to be found. Where are you guys?

Jeff Milner Movie Review - Holes

Last night Mom, Dad, Anna-Maria, her sisters, and I all took in the new Disney Movie, Holes (Official Site / trailer). I didn't love the Matrix, but I loved Holes. What does this say about me? I'm not sure but let me tell you why Holes is a great movie. First of all let me give a little background. Based on the enormously popular novel by Louis Sachar, Holes illustrates the misfortune of Stanley Yelnats IV (Shia LaBeouf) after he is sent to Camp Greenlake, a juvenille detention camp, basically because of some bad luck. It also explains the history of misfortune befallen upon the Yelnats' family after a curse was put on Stanley Yelnats the first when he didn't live up to a promise made to a certain European fortuneteller. This movie seems to have everything including family fortunes, family curses, a turn-of-the-century interracial romance, train robbers, buried treasure, ghosts, onions, peaches, sneakers and Texas Yellow Spotted Lizards, - then ties them all into the resolution. Despite being a movie filled with "holes", this movie is funny and touching and more logical than you'd think possible. I recommend it even if you aren't taking your girlfriend's younger sisters with you.

No comments: