Friday, May 09, 2003

Vacation Log, May 8th (my birthday)

The wake up call came at 5:30 and we got up, got ready and had the continental breakfast. We had to hurry but we made it to the ferry 10 minutes before departure and boarded just in the nick of time. Only one truck got on after us.

Once we were back on the mainland, we began looking for a gas station. I figure that we only had about 100 km worth of gas left on during our little trip across the island. It's lucky that we made it out the other side, because we wouldn't have had enough gas to go back the way we came and all the way to Sooke (the nearest town with a gas station). Looking for a gas station brings up an interesting complaint about trees. Trees are nice and all, but they tend to block the view of things. I really learned the truth of not being able to see the forest for the trees. In my case it was not being able to see the gas station for the trees, but living on the prairies for 24 years and on savannah for 2 years, trees blocking my line of vision hasn't really been a problem for me. I only now find it ironic, that because of trees I had a hard time finding a gas station. I am now not only in favour of big oil, but also the forestry industry.

The car seems to be burning more oil now, than it was before. I think it is because of all the highway driving. By that I mean that it burns more oil on the highway than it does in the city. I don't know why.

After 12.5 hours of hard driving, we got home. We are sad to be home. The weather in Alberta stinks. There are no leave on any of the trees, there is still snow on the ground, and you can't wear your shorts yet. This makes two years in a row with snow on or after my birthday. I can't remember that happening in Medicine Hat.

No comments: