Monday, May 10, 2004

Stuck in a Cart

At 9:30 AM Calgary EMS responded to Southland DR / Horton RD
SW for a bizarre call where a 52-year-old male was stuck
inside a shopping cart, laying at the bottom of a gully on
the north side of Southland Drive. It isn’t known how the man
became stuck in the cart, but it appears that he had been
there for an extended period of time, as he had become
moderately hypothermic. With the assistance for firefighters,
paramedics cut the shopping cart apart to free the man. He
was transported to the Rockyview Hospital in stable
condition. Alcohol was a factor in this incident.

Did they really need to add the part about alcohol being a factor? How could it not be? Hey I know, I'm going to climb into this shopping cart and ride it to the bottom of that gully, alone. How long does it take to get hypothermia in 2 degree celcius weather? An extended period of time apparently.

Now I know that riding in a shopping cart can be fun, even quite hilarous, and I've seen quite a few episodes of Jackass, but if I ride a cart down a hill sometime in the future, I will not become stuck in the cart. I will not be doing all by myself. I will not spend the night or get hypothermia.

Imagine if he had died.

"So how did your father die?"
"He froze to death in a shopping cart at the bottom of a gully. Alcohol was a factor. His buddies just left him there to sleep it off. When he woke up, he was stuck. The fire department tried to get him out using the jaws of life, but the cart was too strong."

No comments: