Sunday, January 18, 2004

Megalo-Mart Opens In Country Hills

A huge Real Canadian Superstore opened up in the neighbourhood just to the north of us. It is one of the largest, if not the largest grocery store I have ever seen. Here is my review.

Product Layout: C-, with chance to appeal grade. I'm giving this grade for one reason only. The layout is completely different from any other Superstore I have ever been to. I'm giving the store a chance to appeal the grade because the isles are a little wider than normal, they put the treat isle right next to the cashiers, and because once people get used to the layout it will be way better. In one year, I predict an A.

Quantity of Crap to sell: A-, this store has a lot of crap. This is facilitated by the rather large size of the store. It would have gotten an A+, but they continue to put crap in areas people need to walk. (I hate it when they do that, but it sells a lot of crap.)

Checkouts: A+, this store has five self serve checkouts. I like this. It separates the dumb slow people from the smart fast people. It will only improve as people learn how to use the machine or as people learn that they are too dumb to use the machine. There are also 20 other tills that were open when we were there. It doesn't quite approach the 40 or so tills in *every* large grocery store in Argentina, but it comes close.

Quantity of Customers: F, there were a lot of people at the store. Too many really. I know that I dislike crowds, but the ambiance of the store will be way better when the opening week crowds die down.

Availability of Yoga Equipment: A+, just check isle 15, "Yoga Mats and Supplies". I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't seen it, an isle dedicated to yoga crap.

There are now two huge Real Canadian Superstores in Northern Calgary. Hopefully, they soften the crowds a little bit. I'm pretty sure from the crowd I saw tonight, that we could use a third with in a year or so.

-Gary Milner, Real Canadian Internet Superstar.

No comments: