Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Back to School...yet again

I feel like all I ever do is go back to school. I just did it a few months ago and now here I am doing it again. That's just the life of a student I guess.

Yesterday was my first day of classes. I only have two classes, but I'll be very busy with my practicum. This semester I will be working on the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at the Peter Lougheed. I've already worked out my schedule for the semester -it goes until the end of march- and pretty much I'll be at the NICU 3 days a week and working on my floor 1 or 2 days a week. Plus classes on monday. Needless to say I'll be very busy. I start my practicum tomorrow, so right now I really have no idea what to expect.

My morning class on mondays is the class that goes along with my practicum. We talk about issues surrounding pregnancy and labour and all that stuff. But my evening class is the one I'm most looking forward to. I'm taking a detective fiction english class. I think it's going to be really interesting. We are reading eight detective books for class, and then I get to pick any one of my choice and give a presentation about it in class on february 9th. If anyone reading this has any good suggestions of books I can read that involve detectives, please let me know. I'm thinking about reading a Mary Higgins Clark book, but I haven't really decided. I don't really want to do the obvious Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie, but it doesn't really matter.

I just got back from Superstore, where I overheard a comment so rude that I almost got involved. One lady was standing almost directly in front of the cashier bagging her groceries. The cashier had started ringing up the groceries of the lady behind her and putting them on the far belt. The lady behind said to the lady bagging her groceries, "Excuse me please", as she obviously wanted to get by to start bagging her own groceries. The lady in front in her nasty old lady smoker voice said "Uhh, I'm bagging my groceries right now...or can't you see me". The lady behind stood there in shock. The cashier stood there in shock. I stood there in shock. There were so many things I wanted to say under my breath but loud enough for her to hear like "That was the rudest thing I've ever heard" or "Of course she sees you, that's why she asked you to move instead of running you over with her cart". Maybe it was one of those "you had to be there" things, but it's been an hour, and I'm still offended by the rudeness of that lady.

No comments: