Thursday, January 29, 2004

Job Hunt

I applied for two jobs today. The problem with a job search after University is that it is completely different from any other job search you have ever done before.

In highschool, if you wanted a job, you would just go to the place where you wanted to work talk to the manager and they would hire you, or you would just move on to the next business where you would like to work.

Blockbuster not hiring? Go to Video Update. Wendy says no? Go talk to Ronald.

It's different now. You don't get to talk to the guy who does the hiring. They might not even let you onto the elevator to his floor. It's almost a gaurentee that you won't be getting past the secratary. Yet thousands of people work in those towers downtown, and they make a lot of money doing it too. How did they get in there? Why am I getting discouraged by the process. I know that I'm at least as smart as they were when they got their first job, so it should be easy.

It gets worse for me, though, because when one company turns me down, I don't know who the next guy to talk to even is. He could even be in the very same building, but I may never even know.

-Gary Milner

No comments: