Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Gary's Life

My goal was to apply for at least one job every day. At least I am averaging one job application everyday. It seems like I have a very hard time writing cover letters. This problem is compounded by the fact that many places would like you to apply via email. This means that you write your resume and cover letter in word, attach it to your email, but still have to write an email on top of you resume and cover letter.

I generally attach read receipt requests on my emails, and I had two sent to me the first day after I sent out my first applications, so at least I know that two people saw my emails. I just hope that they bothered to open the attachment and read my cover letter and resume as well.

Daorcey, a communications and culture major, says that because there aren't very many communications jobs advertised, he has sent letters to a undisclosed number of companies asking for informational interviews. He plans to ask them questions about their various industries. What they are looking for in employees, what they think others are looking for and other things along those lines. He has 6-7 interviews in the next week or so. He knows that none of them have any openings, but the idea is that by meeting these people, he will save them the trouble of having to advertise an opening when one does become available. They will remember his glowing personality and call him to offer a job. Or at least tell their friends about him when their friends are looking for someone. I'm thinking that I should be doing some thing like that.

-Gary Milner

Ps. I wrote an editorial for the Gauntlet. Unfortunately, it's not being printed, it's going on the website. While it may get the same number of readers, and we tell the volunteers that it is the same, it isn't really the same. Here it is in all its glory.

Being the first person murdered this year probably wasn’t anything like being the first baby of the New Year. Being a New Year’s baby is a good thing, while being a murder victim is not. I am neither, so I can only assume.

There have been six murders in the Calgary area in 13 days. That’s well on pace for over 168 murders this year. But don’t worry, the murdered generally know their murderers in Cow Town even when there is nearly 1 murder for every 5,500 people.

While I don’t know very many people, I am both nervous and unconcerned at the possibility of record number of assassinations in the Calgary area. I know that I am not going to kill anyone, and I would be willing to bet on myself in a life or death sort of confrontation with any of my friends. Even if they had a weapon, I could at least make a hasty retreat.

Mr. Lawrence Bailey, the editor of the Gauntlet would be the one exception. He’s a little bigger than I am, he seems to have connections inside the SU, and he’s been looking at me in a weird way lately. His eyes are glassy, sort of dilated, and he wants my Doritos. I think this editorial might push him over the edge.

I might be the one exception to the rule about knowing your murderer. This paper has a circulation of 12,000. My name is in print all the time and my photo from time to time. I could be developing a stalker, maybe someone so devoted to me that she (or he, I don’t judge my stalkers) might start thinking that if they can’t have me, no one can.

Manny, the stunt guy from the anti-movie piracy advertisements might be a person that doesn’t know me but who would like to kill me. He risks his life all the time to make movies, and then I come along, press a few keys and reap all that benefit. I bet he is feeling the sting of my nefarious downloads. The funny thing is, I just keep doing it with impunity. Come at me! Try and murder me Manny.

After every thing is said and done, Calgary is a pretty safe place. We stick to ourselves and don’t kill the people we don’t know and love.

No comments: