Monday, June 09, 2003

Jeff Milner Movie Review - Bruce Almighty

Anna, Zee, and I saw Bruce Almighty last week. I was worried that all the funny parts were in the preview and that it had the potential to be a big fat bomb. However I was pleasantly surprised at it's originality and I have to admit that after the last few years of very little Jim Carrey movies I was ready to see him back at it. The movie is a little flat and at times it's disappointing to see Jim Carrey's character not really reaching his potential with his new powers. If I had Godlike powers, I'm sure I could come up with some pretty great benefits to mankind and although I would probably benefit from the work I did, I wouldn't be so annoyingly self centered. I guess figuring that out is the point of the movie.

Jeff Milner Movie Review - The Pianist

Based on the journal of a World War II survivor from the Warsaw Ghetto this movie gets my highest "WWII holocaust movie" rating since Shindler's List. It's done very tastefully and at the same time isn't so depressing that it's impossible to watch. Whether I agree that Adrian Brody deserved the best actor Oscar for his performance is beside the point (I don't by the way - I think Daniel Day Lewis should have gotten it for The Gangs of New York.) The Warsaw ghetto, as far as I understand, is the one place that the Jewish population fought back against the Germans who were shipping them off to death camps. I would have preferred to see more about the resistance itself, but because of the situation that the protagonist, Spielman, was in, we only get to see a little of the fighting and hear about through rumours and word of mouth from those around him. I highly recommend this movie because of the importance of remembering the holocaust but in particular because this story was based so closely on Spielman's journal and also some incidents were taken right from the directors own personal experiences. He was a holocaust survivor as well. If you rent the DVD I also recommend that you watch the special features disk - the story of survival.

Glen is Gone

Jackie and Glen stayed over at my house last night and I made them breakfast this morning. Jackie helped a little too. We had pancakes, bacon, and eggs and it was sure good. I think I need more practice pouring the pancake mix in, but after my first try I had some better luck. Nobody likes to eat a pancake THAT big. Although I think someone did, because there was only one left. Anyway Glen headed back home and now Jackie and I are looking for some excitement. Unfortunately for her I think I'm going to use my neighbours lawn mower to mow my lawn and I can't think of much for her to do in the meantime.

Party Times are Happening Soon

I almost lost my blog entry! But luckily I was able to hit the back button and this post was still here. I can't tell you how disappointed I was in my heart thinking that all my post was just gone. Anyway I'm sure you don't care so I'll get back to business. I am having a little shindig at my house this weekend. Gary, Tracie, Mom, Dad and Jackie are all coming. I imagine I should invite Corry and the other Milners and go kayaking with them as well while they are here. It should be a fun weekend. Now it's off to mow and then off to work at five.

No comments: