Monday, December 08, 2003

Boo Hoo!!! Please Don't Pirate My Movies!!! Boo Hoo!!!

Tracie and I went to see "Elf" on Saturday. It cost us $21 to get in. Can you believe it? $21 for a matinee at two in the afternoon. Then they have the gall to show five commercials and call us bastards for downloading movies off the internet, (painting sets is hard work, blah blah blah, at least you have a job jackass)

The movie itself was good, but there were nearly 20 seats marked out-of-order. It got me thinking, what have the stupid cineplex people done to make the experience better? Put 11 screens in one building? Oh yeah, that's just super. Charging $12 for a popcorn and a drink? I'll bring my own, thanks.

For a while there, I was on the fence about getting movies off the internet, I could have been convinced to stop doing it. Now, I am actively in favour of it. HEY EVERYBODY, DOWNLOAD MOVIES OFF THE INTERNET!!!

As we were leaving Elf, Eddie Murphy's movie "The Haunted Mansion" was just starting. I would have gone in, but Tracie was too chicken. I tried to convince her, but she really didn't want to. When we got back to the car, I said, we just paid $21 for a matinee. I don't think that she'll make that mistake again.

If you go to the show anytime that isn't on a cheap Tuesday, or a matinee, it would be cheaper to buy the DVD. Very few movies need the big screen to properly tell the story. A TV will do just fine for most.

In our case, we could drive from Calgary to Medicine Hat, go the the show there and still save money by not getting popcorn and a drink. Avoiding the masses of people, especially the teenagers would make getting the DVD instead of going to the theater the right choice all by itself. If someone's phone rings, you can pause it. Think of the snack savings $12 worth of popcorn would fill your basement!

Gary Milner, now promoting getting movies off the internet.

No comments: