Saturday, June 24, 2006

Perth finished

Perth is a really nice town. It is probably the only city in the world with a population of 1.47 million that feels as if it only has 250,000. Perth is growing a break neck speed. It is a city that is heavily reliant on natural resources and the mining industry plays a huge role.

There are a lot of engineers and consultants and consultant engineers in Perth, just like in Calgary.

While I like Perth it does have the reputation of being a boring place. I would have to say that there are no boring places, just boring people. A place is as fun as you make it. That being said everything is closed by 6:00PM. Most things are closed on Sunday. They do have late night shopping on Thursday in the suburbs (it ends at 9:00pm) and Friday's in the CBD (it also ends at 9:00). Forget about getting a bus anywhere after that.

Be prepared to wait for an hour any other time you want a bus. Hopefully you don't have to be there at 8:00 because it just ain't going to happen if you don't have a car. Perth is very car dependant, more so that Calgary by a long shot.

There are lots of fun things to do in and around Perth. I already talked about the beach, but I forgot to mention kite boarding. It's a lot like snow boarding only you have a parachute and you skim across the water instead of snow. It looks like it would cost about $1500 to get set up. I wish I would have found out about it a lot sooner to give me some time to save up some money. It looks spectacularly fun.

Another fun thing is boating. You can rent these catamarans down at the river. Tracie and I went one afternoon for an hour. I thought that we would need some instruction other than, "aim for the convention centre and turn away from the wind on your way back for the best ride." or at least mandatory life jackets. It turns out that that I could be an admiral and Tracie would make a pretty good ordinary sailor. Sailing is pretty fun, but with the boat we rented you do get pretty wet, even if you are careful.

Before I leave Perth, I'll tell you this fact. Perth is considered to be the world's most isolated city. That is to say that it is the city farthest away from any other city with over one million people.

-Gary Milner

No comments: