Saturday, July 19, 2003

On the Road Again...

I got up early this morning and headed for Medicine Hat. Mom really wanted me to fix up her computer which, as you can probably guess since I'm posting this from Medicine Hat, is working fine. I did talk Mom into buying a new 10/100mbps network card that is noticeably faster than the 10 mbps card they were using previously. Gary I recommend you upgrade your card if you are still using a slow one. The new card cost $20 but I think it will be worth it for them. So in case you are curious all I really had to do was uninstall the newest version Kazaa, some virus software called bullguard (which by the way was the main problem) and I think something called mynet or mysearch, I'm not exactly sure what it was but I guess you collected points by using it or something and I was like - "no." "This is not right". So now that's its gone and the computer is running as smoothly as ever. Perhaps I'll give Anna-Maria a call or maybe I'll just chill here for awhile watching TV. Either way, I'm planning on staying over night in the Hat and driving back to Lethbridge tomorrow before 3. They have me scheduled to work all night Sunday, and frankly I'm beginning to think about quitting that job. I guess I should just think about how I'm in a tight spot for money what with my impulse trip to Disneyland and all. (So worth it by the way - still no regrets whatsoever!) Speaking of Disneyland, still no "official" word on whether Anna has decided to take the job or not. She is moving however, she's already packed up her house and the landlord has been showing it to potential tenants.

Jeff Milner Movie Review - The Pirates of the Caribbean

While in Disneyland Anna and I took in the pirates twice, once in the theatre and once, of course, in the Disneyland park. We missed seeing the premiere held right in Disneyland by a couple of days. (click on "Check out the World Premeire" on the right and then click on "World Premiere Video" in top left). However there was still such a great atmosphere to see that movie! For one thing most everyone in that theatre is on vacation. They are there to have a good time, and a good time we had! When the movie started the audience responded with applause and cheering, and as each actor made their debut appearance in the show, again the sound of an appreciative audience filled the theatre. The thing about clapping in a show is - while it may seem really out of place in a place like Lethbridge or Medicine Hat, seeing a movie like Pirates right in Downtown Disney felt like we should applaud, like it would have been rude of us not to show our appreciation. I remember the first time I ever went to a show where the audience clapped was in Manhattan at the biggest theatre in the city. It was the opening night of "Lost in Space" and the crowd there was electric. There's a pretty good chance that the actors in the movie were there that night because we had just been to the taping of Dave Letterman where Mimi Rogers was on the show promoting this movie, and since it was opening night it would make sense that she would have been with us in that theatre. Anyway despite Lost in Space being a truly horribly crappy movie I'll always hold a certain fondness for it in my heart because of the memories associated with seeing it in that atmosphere.

Anyway back to Pirates of the Caribbean. The thing to remember about this movie is that its main motivation is a ride that opened in 1967. The storyline does require you to suspend your belief in reality and may result in a disappointment for some but the Disney-ness factor of the movie will win out overall, if you let it. I can't give my highest recommendation for this movie, because honestly it could have been better, but I by no means give it two thumbs down. I think it's a pretty good show that deserves at least a matinee viewing if not a full fledged night time $9.00 US viewing (but I only recommend paying $9 if you are in Downtown Disney). My thumbs are definatly higher than Dads.

No comments: