Monday, September 06, 2004

Doggy Style

Gary and I have been considering getting a dog. I'm not sure exactly how serious we are about it, but it seems like the more we entertain the idea, the better of an idea it becomes.

We went to the Humane Society on Saturday. There were probably about 20 dogs there, none of which appealed to us. Each one was bigger than the next. We want a small to medium dog, not a little rat-like one, but not a giant knock-you-down one either. When I was about 14 my parents got a Siberian Husky, which was way too big to be a city dog. We have a small house and a small yard, so a small dog should fit us fine.

After coming out empty handed from the SPCA, we tried to find another animal shelter in Calgary, but there seems to be only one in the whole city. So we tried pet stores. The dogs there were significantly cuter...I mean they were all little puppies with the most pathetic looking faces. We would be crazy not to take one home, right? Well, they were cute, but not $1088.00 cute. Last year my sister bought a pure-bred miniature daschund for $500.00 and I thought she was crazy. I thought, "500 bucks for a dog? A dog that isn't trained?" Well, the cheapest dogs we saw at any pet store cost $750.00, and they were random mutts.

We'll probably just keep trying the Humane Society every once in a while. If someone has any advice for us, we'd love to hear it.

-Tracie, future dog master

No comments: