Monday, February 09, 2004

SU Elections

I went to see/photograph the SU Presidential forums for the paper today. There is one candidate who is running on a slate of 20 candidates to fill all but one of the SU positions. After listening to him speak, I not only feel dumber, I probably am dumber. I'm worried that the University will find out that I was there and take away my degree. He was like a blackhole of stupidity, sucking the intelligence out of everything within speaking distance.

I felt a little sorry for him, because the crowd was really out for blood. Lots of people think that his slate must be stopped. They refer to his 19 co-candidates, as the "hive mind" and "collective" as a reference to the Borg from Star Trek, where only one of them thinks but all the others do the leader's bidding.

James particularly went for the throat, asking for things like "concrete ideas" and how he plans to "achieve" his goals. James also asked if the candidate honestly thought that the voters would be fooled by the candidates campaign. The candidate responded by asking if when the last time James voted was. James replied that he had voted in five student elections, and both the federal and provincial elections. Everyone cheered for James. It was one of the best things in the entire forum.

-Gary

No comments: