Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Job Hunter

I went to a campus recruiting event for Best Buy and Future Shop yesterday night. It was very interesting. They had a company video that explained a little bit about the history of the two Electronics Retailers. It reminded me a lot of what the first page of a case study would be like, only with less information. In any case, I signed up for and attended a job interview this morning.

The interview went really well. I get the feeling that I have a lot of the skills and experience that they really want in their manager trainees. The lady told me that I will probably be getting a second interview. I gave really good answers and relevant experience for all of her questions.

By this time you are wondering why I would want to work for the Future Shop. The answers is that I don't know if I do, but they may make me an offer that I can't refuse. I told her (the interviewer) that I would prefer to work in the merchandising portion of the company, which would mean that I would be behind the scenes, not really in contact with customers or salesmen.

Anyway, I'm told that they are looking for up to 700 managers between the two stores, because they are changing the way they do things a little bit. They are also opening a ton of stores.

In the very worst case, it will be good interviewing practice. In the best case, I will have a pretty high paying job with a great electronics discount. Admittedly, I will have to think long and hard about working for them.

-Gary Milner, about to join the darkside of electronics retailing, maybe.