Sunday, October 19, 2003

A Trip to the Theater

One of my volunteers and I went to a media call last Tuesday for a play called, "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf", we took a few photos and on our way out, the publicist asked us if we would like to have tickets to Friday's show. I am not a guy to turn down $50 worth of tickets said, "Yes, I'll take two".

Little did I know, that Tracie had to work, and that I would be going to the show by myself. Don't worry anyone, we won't be getting a divorce one week before Christmas, like the time I had to goto the Star Trek movie by myself.

I dropped Tracie off at the hospital and rode the c-train downtown to the theater. I picked up my ticket and made my way to my seat. The first thing that you notice upon entering the theater is that the set tilts forward and to the left, which is weird for a little while, but then you adjust and don't even notice after awhile. Valerie Ann Pearson (Martha) said, "Sitting on the couch is the worst part, it really hurts your back. Walking around on it is great though, because you don't even have to act drunk." The play was wonderfully done, I can see why it has been so acclaimed over the years. I felt uncomfortable with George and Martha's conversation, and I was in the audience.

A Trip Home From the Theater

I am really becoming aware that I feel a little uncomfortable around people who hang out around the c-train. Not just the homeless kids downtown, but the gangsta types that hang out at the Rundle Station in the NE.

I was at the City Hall station waiting for a NE bound train, looking around minding my own business, when I notice a homeless type kid, about 20 feet away, with a florescent orange exacto knife with the blade extended concealed in his hand. Then I notice that he's doing the "head thrust" at me, like bullies do to little kids to make them flinch. Apparently he thought that I was staring at him and trying to start something.

I am strongly opposed to getting cut by, Jimmy "The Box Cutter" Homelesspunk, so I walked down the steps off the platform and then back up the steps more in the middle where there were more people.

It was the first time that I went from feeling pretty safe in Calgary, to feeling aprehensive. I have to admit that I don't really want Tracie to go to the hospital by herself anymore. Maybe it's because we had our CD's stolen from our car at that station, but it really doesn't seem safe to me. Especially after dark.

Things like this are just serving to make me even more classist than I already am. If we stay in Calgary, I want to live in a place where you have to have a $40,000-$50,000 down payment. Somewhere totally unreachable by Jimmy Homelesspunk.

I wonder what early Hutterites would have thought?

No comments: