Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Linux Ate My Dog

Well, Linux went into my computer just fine. It took about two hours, but everything worked just fine on the first try. Ben also gave me another 64megs of ram he got from a computer he bought just so that he could get the network card.
I guess, that they have been making lots of improvements to Linux over the years. Ben said that in the past you needed 24 disks, and it was text only. Now you can boot from you cd and there is a graphical user interface. It tells you what to select so that even a beginner could do a custom install.
One of the best things is that you get almost everything you need right off the bat and it is free. You get an office suite, for wordprocessing, spread sheets and presentations. You get server software for fileserving, web serving and ftp serving. You get a bunch of games and a ton of other stuff packaged with the Operating System.
It even accessed the internet over the Gauntlet's network without doing any extra configuring. I'm pretty happy. Now all I need to do is get a router and I will have my own little LAN conneted to the Interweb.

-Gary Linux Guru

No comments: