Thursday, August 04, 2005

Temp Agencies in Perth, Australia

Yesterday I went to several temp agencies in order to get signed up for them to help me find a job. The first one we went to was on William St. in Northbridge, in the main backpacker/bar/party area of Perth. When I told her I was looking for something in an office, maybe data entry, the lady said, "There's a 95%, no make that 100% chance that you won't be able to find office work." I told her that I would be willing to do labour or factory work in the city. She said, "There's a 99% chance that you won't find labour in the city, anything we can find you will be out of town and you'll need a car or to live on site or in a hostel nearby."
I'm not really the sheep shearing / olive picking / tree pruning guy that I would have been say eight years ago so I just left to find one of the agencies that we found online. It's pretty much out of the question for Tracie and Ito be separated and I don't see the point of her doing manual labour in the middle of nowhere (the Outback) when she has 5 or 10 hospitals to choose from within walking distance of the trains.
In anycase I went to three staffing agencies that I found online that find people office work. The first one seemed promising, and the thrid one even more so. At the third agency, they tested my computer skills and I had some fairly good results. The consultant said that it was pretty obvious that I know how to use a computer quite well.
The three temping agencies that I found downtown all said that there exist lots of jobs for people on working holiday visas. I'm calling the first one back tomorrow and emailing the third just to make sure that I'm not going anywhere and that I'm serious about finding work through them.
-Gary Milner

No comments: