Monday, October 14, 2002

My love affair with public transit is losing it's luster. I used to really enjoy taking public transit. Now my eyes are opening to the fact that riding the bus SUCKS.

I got invited to Kris and Vero Jensen's for Thanksgiving dinner today. At noon I realized that Tracie had taken the car to work and that I needed to find a ride to Bowness. I fired up the Calgary Transit website and found out that the #40 bus goes from the corner by my house to the corner by the Jensen's house, and that it would arrive at my stop in just about 45 minutes. I hopped "like a bunny" into the shower and when I got out there was still 30 minutes to the bus. I got dressed, and there were still 15 minutes to the bus. I arrived at the stop 10 minutes early and 5 minutes go by. 10 minutes go by, 15 minutes go by, 20 minutes go by and no #40. The only bus that went by was the 91 and it doesn't go to Bowness. Finally I hear the sound of a bus, but it's the #20. I decide to get on and ride to the bottom of the hill. At least at the bottom of the hill I can catch the #40 or the #1 and those both go reasonably near where I wanted to go. So I waited at the bottom of the hill for another 10 minutes and my beloved #40 is still nowhere to be seen. Fortunately the #1 showed up and it took be with in 4 blocks of the Jensens and I was only half an hour late. Luckily the meal wasn't quite ready, and so it was ok.

Dinner was quite good. Since I'm neither my Mother nor my aunt Mary Ann, I am not going to give you a list of all the things I ate or how delicious each item was, other than to say it was quite good.

This thanksgiving I am thankful that I got invited over somewhere to eat. (Since tomorrow is not Thanksgiving anymore, I may list a few things I am no thankful for if I remember)

No comments: