Sunday, November 03, 2002

I went to watch the Muay Thai Kickboxing last night. It was wild. Muay Thai is just like kickboxing except that you are allowed to knee and elbow your opponent. Elbows are padded for the safety of the competitors. I got to go right up to the ring, and take pictures underneath the ropes. When I get them developed tomorrow, I will post a few so that you can see a little of the action.

I always thought that I would see a boxing match before I went to see kickboxing, but I guess that it just didn't work out that way. Some of the fights went all 5 rounds, but some were shorter, like only 1 or 2 rounds. Unfortunately, they had girl fighters, which doesn't seem quite right. Although people only go to see fights, which seems pretty crass in and of itself. A couple of guys got kicked in the head pretty hard.

An intersting thing to note is that when you see a guy get hit and a spray flies off his head, it seems to me that most often, it's not actually sweat flying off but water. In between rounds, they pour water all over the competitors. I don't know if it's to cool them down, lubricate them so the gloves don't stick and tear their skin or what. But it sure does make punches that connect a little more impressive.

No comments: