Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fruit and Veg Shop

I recently got a job working in a fruit and veg shop. I haven't started yet, but I'm pretty sure that it is just going to be unloading the truck at the shop three times a week.
I met the owner at church and he said that he had been thinking of hiring me since I had introduced myself a few weeks ago. When I went to meet him the other day, he told me that he had worked in the shop for two years before he started his own. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, he goes to market to buy stock for the shop. The process sounds very interesting and he offered to take me to introduce me around and let me see the buying and selling of the produce at the wholesale level.
I don't know what it will be like, but I imagine something like the floor of the stock exchange, a middle eastern bizzar, and the Spanish tomatina all rolled into one, with everyone saying things like, "Let's throw some shrimp on the barbie!"
Even though it is only going to be three days a week, I'm excited to be working now and it will probably be a good balance between working and holidaying.

-Gary

No comments: