Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Glory Days

This is me when I was 17 years old. It looks like I was dunking the ball with ease back then. It got a lot easier the next year. I put on a few more pounds of muscle and had a lot more practice. The last time I dunked it with any authority it was the first week or second week of February the year I was 19. I can remember the exact spot, it was in a gym that has a no dunking rule but they had break away rims and the temptation to show off is pretty high. I did it again a few weeks later at an outdoor court just south of Buenos Aires. The 20 months that followed I was really hard on my body. I estimate that I walked close to 9,900 km in that time. It was really hard on my knees. I've never really been the same since, as far as jumping ability is concerned. After a long rest, I had just put on too much weight to be able to do it very well.



I was a lot thinner. I had more hair on my head and less on my chest and in my nose. I've put on 50 lbs in the 13 years since this video was shot. I have dunked it a handful of times, but no more than 9 or 10 and it was close every time, and the actual height of the nets has be questionable.

What brings it up is that I did it last night for the first time in about 2 years, but just barely.

-Gary

1 comment:

Jon said...

Stupid hair is nose... If it was there to prevent inhaling foreign debris, why does it become so more prevelent as we get older?